Monday, January 11, 2010

The First 10 Days...

I've finished the first 10 days of my Optimal Living Program. Because I mentally prepared and really wanted to do this, it has been much easier a task than I had imagined initially. I am enthusiastic about the growth, development and progress to come, which has made the changes exciting rather than burdensome. I don't notice a whole lot of changes yet, being so early on in the "100 Days" but I am getting into the routine of the new positive habits I am developing.

Here are reflections from the first Ten Days:

1. Cheese. Being a Vegetarian over the past 4 years or so, I've relied heavily on Cheese as a good source of protein, and as a very satisfying/filling meal. This is the first time in my entire life I have gone any extended period without having cheese. I would guess that I had cheese virtually every day of my life. Choosing a Vegan diet and eliminating Cheese has been the biggest change. Not relying on cheese has forced me to expand my shopping, cooking and eating options, which I always enjoy doing. I made a really good Pasta the other day. Rigatoni Pasta, with Field Grain faux Apple/Sage Sausage, Portobella Mushroom, Red Onion, Carrot, Poblano Pepper, Mixed Greens, and covered in a BBQ Gravy I made. It was really good. Had I not been forced to expand my options I would have most likely eaten my most frequent meal from previous times, an Organic Whole Foods Tortilla, with a ton of Whole Foods Vegetarian Cheese, Tofurkey and Cholula. I used to eat one or two of those daily. It feels good to branch out and expand my options.

2. Jump Attack. I have been extremely sore from the Jump Attack Program, which incorporates, Weight Training, Plyometrics, and Flexibility exercises. It involves a lot of explosive movement and has me very, very stiff. The intense workouts are 2 days a week and about 2-3 hours a piece. They are grueling, and the day after I find it hard to even sit down. It is very early on, so I look forward to my body getting stronger and more used to the intensity of the workouts. I continue to play the game of Basketball that I love so much and the reason why I am doing this workout in the first place, although being so stiff and broken down, I have been slower than normal. Gotta break it down to build it up. My goal is a two-handed slam dunk by programs end, hopefully in a game. :-)

3. PhilosophersNotes. I have listened to one of Brian Johnson's PhilosophersNotes every day. I listen and meditate on one book summary each day, taking notes and journaling alongside. I bought a 100 page note Pad from Staples which is made out of Bagasse, an environmentally friendly Sugarcane waste. I am using one page, front and back, for thoughts, ideas and revelations on each one of the 100 PhilosophersNotes. I really look forward to this time to clear my head, focus on what is really important, and to find areas in my life that I can improve and develop further. The wisdom, knowledge and insight these notes have is just astonishing. Here are the notes I have gone over the first 10 days.

"The Thrive Diet" by Brendan Brazier
"The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent" by Esther and Jerry Hicks
"Analects of Confucius"
"The First 30 Days" by Ariane De Bonvoisin
"As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen
"Do You" by Russell Simmons
"Ask and it is Given" by Esther and Jerry Hicks
"Authentic Happiness" by Martin Seligman
"Awareness" by Anthony De Melo
"The Power of TED" by David Emerald

Here's a couple favorite quotes I picked up over the past 10 days via those authors above on PhilosophersNotes.

"Eating well can eliminate 40% of overall stress." - Brendan Brazier

"The World needs demonstration more than it needs instruction." - Wallace D. Wattles

"The greatest achievement was at first, and for a time, a dream. The oak sleeps in the acorn, the bird waits in the egg, and in the highest vision of the soul, a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities." - James Allen

"Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream so shall you become. Your vision is the promise of what you shall one day be. Your ideal is the prophecy of what you shall at last unveil." - James Allen

"80% of success is showing up." - James Allen

"I dream my painting and paint my dream." - Vincent Van Gogh

"Repetition is the mother of genius." - (?)

"Many times a day I realize how much my own outer and inner life is built upon the labors of my fellow man, both living and dead. And how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received." - Albert Einstein

"You cannot see outside of you, what you fail to see inside" - Anthony De Melo

"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character" - Anthony De Melo

"We see people and things as WE are, not as THEY are." - Anthony De Melo

4. Yoga. This is an area I need to improve on. I took the first week memorizing Sun Salutations and other poses/forms of Yoga. I have two young boys, a 2 and 1 year old, and they have kept me from being consistent with my practice. I have not been able to get up earlier than they have to get Yoga in, and once they are up they need diapers changed, breakfast, attention, etc. Also with the Jump Attack program and how stiff I have been, it has been hard to make Yoga enjoyable. Then there is work after all that. I will stay after it and figure out a way to make it work.

5. Sweets. I have stayed clear of all sweets, sodas, etc. They sure look good, but I know they don't do me any good so I stay clear.

See you in 10 more days with more progress to report and more goodness to share.

:-)

2 comments:

  1. As a Man Thinketh is a great book! I'd encourage you to take a look at James Allen complete collection of writings by going to http://www.jamesallenlibrary.com. There's no charge to read them on that site and there's other things there as well such as inspirational emails, discussion forums, and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, thanks much. I would have to say that "As a Man Thinketh" is my favorite book of all time, so I really appreciate the tip! All the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete